Thursday, September 18, 2008

GHANA@51

I usually type what I want to say before I post them but today, I am sitting behind a computer bored as booooooored and I am typing nothing at all like I always do. I just want to make a few pointers to my few readers.
You that among other things when a person goes to school, he or she learns about how to live a meaningful life. A meaningful life to benefit the person and society as a whole. Unfortunately for our case it isn't so in Ghana. You go to school so that politicians can look good in the eyes of the international donor and aid agencies.
I remember when a friend complained that it was too expensive to get a university education. You won't believe what I told him being an academic freak, I said;
"oh, when you complete your education, you will get a job to make up for all the investments you made into your education".
I am glad he doesn't remember what I said that day. He will be sueing me for misleading him. Unfortunately your university degree doesn't earn you a job these days. It gets you indebted if you took a students loan and it makes you a nuisance to your family who see you as a burden for them since you can't get a job.
Supposing as a compensation, you get to see what you learnt in school being implemented, you could say to yourself;
"atleast i knew that and i learnt it from school".
Unfortunately that is not to be. The law is the crime and the law enforcer the criminal instead of the law and law enforcer apprehending criminals.
Our politicians lack Will Power, our public servants lack the motivation and the citizenry lack the desire to do right.
A politician will only do right if it favours his/her political ambition.
A public servant/civil servant will do right when he gets "motivation" (bribe).
For us the citizenry, we do not have the desire to do right or demand right because we don't know what is right anyway.
The public/civil servant will not teach you because it will mean not getting his or her motivation(bribe) after doing what he or she is being paid to do. The politician is glad you do not know because by not knowing you cannot demand that he does what is right and so he gets to do what is wrong or what will favour his/her political ambition.
The nigerian will say;
"na who cause am?"
So it happened that a journalist doing a study on corruption in the world over decides to interview ministers from Europe and Africa to know the levels of corruption. He studies the two ministers' asset before the get into office and during their term of office. These are the responses from the two interviews.
NOTES:
J : Journalist
E.M: European Minister
A.M: African Minister
J: I realised that before assuming office you had one car and a house and just after 1 year you have three cars and three houses?
E.M: You this project on the school, I had 10%, you see the hospital project, another 10%, the bridge over the river 10%. That is how come I have all that I have.
The same question is posed to the African minister and this is his response;
A.M: You see that school project, 90%, you see the hospital project, 80%, you see the bridge over the river outside.....
J: but there is no bridge there!
A.M: Exactly! 100%
J: Why?
A.M: because they don't know, they can't demand.
it is not over yet, there is room for improvement and growth in Ghana and Africa!

No comments: