Monday, September 1, 2008

this week


My editor in chief has instructed me to attempt a funny issue this time round so I am going to try very hard to make you laugh. that is if I can. I am so bad at jokes that not even I find my jokes funny.
I have just been thinking since I wrote the first paragraph for two hours to find something funny in my head but I have none at all. I have therefore decided to defy my superior and write as I always do. Just in case next time you check my blog and is empty, it is just because I just disobeyed my boss and wrote contrary to instructions.

Talk about that, I heard that the assistant coach of the senior national team requested $6000US but the FA refuse and rather proposed $3000. If only there was just one effective institution in Ghana, this will not happen. There are no laws, no institutions in Ghana. There is one law which seemed to work some years ago but has ceased to work these days. It was the law at the public toilet; Gents and Ladies. That was obey to the letter but now it is being defied.

I do not know of any country in the world that drivers are afraid to give their driver’s license to the police except in Ghana. I sat in a trotro from Tetteh-Quarshie interchange to my work place on the spintex road then a police officer stopped the driver and asked him to produced his license. I saw the driver hide his license and pick a card with money. He got down to see the police officer and we sat in the car for close to 30minutes then he returned. Getting furious I asked him why he kept us waiting in the car. He responded “he asked for my license”. I asked “Don’t you have one and why didn’t you produce it?” He replied; “ I have one but I will never show it to a policeman because when he gets hold of it, that is the end of my career as a commercial driver because it will take me close to a year to retrieve it.”

I like the police very much but if this is true, they should be weary because change is on its way.

Now back to the black stars, we just had a coach from Serbia who cannot speak English taking $45,000 and his interpreter who I can say is worse than a basic six pupil in English taking $10,000 a month. So what is wrong with us as a nation? I am one of the people who share the view that a Ghanaian is not yet ready to coach the senior national team but I believe the FA has given us a raw deal. For the next three months or more, the assistant coach is the one going to issue out instruction from the touchlines and he doesn’t deserve $6000US but an interpreter deserves $10,000US.


Let me propose a radical solution to this mistreat meted out to our local coaches. Let them agree not to provide player for the national teams; run their own league without the FA. Let them not have any relationship whatsoever with the FA and see what will happen to Ghana football.

The plight of the assistant coach of the senior national team is the plight of most workers in Ghana today. Many people who work under others are denied what is due them. Once a man, who now seeks to be president said that “the office of a minister of state or a member of parliament or the presidency is a high office that should be made very attractive so that people will aspire to such offices”. this was in response to a suggestion that the MP's request for loans to buy cars should not be granted so that the money be used to increase the salaries of then striking teachers. No wonder a person contesting for the office of a member of parliament told me once that patriotism is just a mouth talk and doesn’t exist in Ghana. He also told me that there is no need fighting to get equitable wages and salaries for people but I should just struggle to get to the top where everything is rosy and leave those at the bottom to be at the bottom.

I am sorry, that is why we are not developing. Like my Tanzanian friend will say, “that is why we are not continuing”. If care is not taken, we will spend another 10 years trying to rebuild our national team; the Black stars. Why am I saying this? It is obvious that that is what we do in our national administration and governance and for which every 10 years get a new development agenda yet we get no where.

My sympathy to Coach Akwasi Appiah!!!!!!! To my darling football club, it will be tough but we will overcome. Fabu…. The Best!
Long live Ghana, Long live Ghana football. Long live the poor who work for national development so that some greedy rich politicians and civil servant will get enriched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Them belly full but we hungry...

love you.

You are funny. you know it. Wo ye gaigai wo tie??? :)